Friday, November 12, 2021

Digital Portraits

 


Adding more to the Digitals Portrait Series - Childhood Hero Series These are the people who left a mark on me growing up in one way or other.  As I worked on these series creating them on Procreate as a daily practice as been such a lovely learning curve and it helped me to see what i really enjoy.


It also reminded me of what about these specific  people left a mark on me … be it the lotus on the cover on Arundhati Rap’s book cover ‘ God of Small Things’





Arundhati Rao - Author of God of Small Things



Surinder Kaur 

I have a fond memory of hearing her live when I was little in a wedding singing live. I had no idea who she was but sensed her importance in my mom’s voice introducing us to Surinder’s magical voice. 

Surinder Kaur was an Indian singer and songwriter. While she mainly sang Punjabi folk songs, where she is credited for pioneering and popularising the genre. For her contributions to punjabi music, she earned the sobriquet Nightingale of Punjab, the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1984, and the Padma Shri in 2006.


Khushwant Singh-video process

I can’t remember how or went I got introduced to Khushwant Singh’s writings maybe it was from his columns in newspapers. But I do remember reading Train to Pakistan. 

When partition came, Singh was a witness to people being killed on both sides of the India-Pakistan border. Train to Pakistan reflects his accuracy and honesty, and was made into a 1998 Hindi film directed by Pamela Rooks. (Extract from @guardian )

Ek tha Rusty -Ruskin Bond 

I think I have to thank DoorDarshan for so many things!!! Like introducing me to Ruskin Bond 

Ruskin Bond (born 19 May 1934) is an Indian author of British descent. 

Asked what he likes the most about his life, he said, "That I have been able to write for so long. I started at the age of 17 or 18 and I am still writing. If I were not a professional writer who was getting published I would still write."In his essay, "On being an Indian", he explains his Indian identity, "Race did not make me one. Religion did not make me one. But history did. And in the long run, it's history that counts." ( #wikipedia )

1 comment: